Monday 28 May 2012

Healthy(ish) Muesli Slice {recipe}



Today we had a day at home as my husband stayed at home from work sick and my youngest kidlet, Ollie, was also under the weather.  What to do during a morning at home? Bake of course! I am very conscious of being a good role model for the kids and I don't like them eating much junk food so I decided that Will and I would make something healthier than cakes and biscuits.  We came up with a muesli slice that turned out really well so I thought I would share the recipe.  There are loads of different muesli slice recipes out there, and this one is our interpretation.  There are endless combinations, so feel free to substitute different ingredients.  In the future I am going to experiment with making the slice with less butter and see how it holds together.  I'll keep you posted!

My little helper.  :-)


{Muesli Slice Recipe}

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
3 cups rice bubbles
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup currants
1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped (we use the unsweetened ones that can be purchased at good nut shops)
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
4 tablespoons honey (we used yellow box honey)
4 tablespoons peanut butter (we used a smooth no added sugar no added salt variety)
125g unsalted butter, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar

Line a 20x30cm lamington pan with baking paper.

In a large bowl combine the oats, rice bubbles, coconut, seeds, currants, cranberries, and apricots.

Put the honey, peanut butter, butter and sugar in a medium bowl and melt it in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until it is well combined and slightly thickened.  Add to the dry ingredients and stir until combined, taking care as the mixture will be very hot.  Press the mixture into the prepared pan, pushing it down with the back of the spoon so that it holds its shape once set.  Put in the fridge for a minimum of an hour before cutting. Store the slice in the fridge.

Susie xx

1 comment:

  1. YUM, I love a good muesli slice. Might have to give this a try for the kids school lunch boxes.

    ReplyDelete